(*note, this is a copy of a page created by PasCSC, the original lives here)
One of the outcomes of this past May’s Pasadena Pedestrian Safety Workshop facilitated by CA Walks, the Pasadena City Council declared October to be Pedestrian Safety Month on Monday 9/28. Representatives of Walking Pasadena, as well as PasCSC, Stop 4 Aidan, Day One, and the Downtown Pasadena Neighborhood Association, and other groups attended the meeting to receive the official proclamation and underscore the need to focus on pedestrian safety in the City. Indeed, with 7 pedestrian fatalities over the past 5 years alone, we can do better.
Along these lines group members have also come together to host a series of of free community events for Pasadena’s first “Walktober” (October is National Walking Month). Join us in exploring the city on two feet and learning more about how we as a community can make Pasadena even better for walking!
Mon 10/5 (6:30-8pm) – PasCSC Public Meeting
- Join walking and biking enthusiasts as they convene to discuss the latest and greatest in the world of active transportation! What streets and intersections are in greatest need of pedestrian improvements? The City is currently compiling a list of potential improvements and we need YOUR input on this and more! Light refreshments and a killer view will be provided by our gracious host PBWS Architects, conveniently located on the southeast corner of Colorado and Marengo by BJs.
- Meet PBWS Architects (map) , 234 E. Colorado Boulevard, Ste 700, Pasadena, California 91101
- Led by DPNA President, Pasadena Transportation Commissioner, and expert walker Jonathan Edwards, the guided tour will provide attendees an opportunity to learn more about City’s ongoing efforts to improve comfort and safety for pedestrians, provide suggestions/input on how our City can be made safer for walking, and connect with other walking enthusiasts over a libation (price not included:). Walkers will traverse some of the “Pasadena Passages”(www.pasadenapassages.com), a series of alleyways, streets, and courtyards, which if linked via pedestrian improvements, have the potential to make the City’s downtown core even more unique and walkable.
- Meet in front of the Pasadena Presbyterian Church, on the northeast corner of Colorado and Madison (kitty-corner from Urth Caffe)
Thu 10/22 (7pm) – Walk-In Movie Night
- Outdoor screening of short films, curated with a walking theme. Light healthy refreshments.
- Location: Day One, 175 N. Euclid Ave., just north of Pasadena City Hall and south of Walnut Ave.
Sun 10/25 (9am) – Colorado Blvd. Walk
- Explore Pasadena’s iconic Colorado Boulevard from end-to-end with the founder of Walking Pasadena (www.walkingpasadena.com) Sunday October 25th! An encore of a great walk the group did in 2014, the Colorado Boulevard tour will begin at the intersection of Sierra Madre Blvd and head west to cross the Colorado Street Bridge. Walkers will then have the choice of heading back to the start, or hopping on one of many Metro and Foothill Transit buses (fare $1.75) that traverse the corridor back to the starting point. Guided by Sarah Emery Bunn, the walk is 3.79 miles one way, approx 2 hours depending on your speed and how many times you stop to take photos.
- Meet at the corner of Sierra Madre & Colorado (in front of Vons) at 9AM.